Welcome to the world of crafting with ResinCrete by JDiction, a game-changer for eco-conscious creators and DIY enthusiasts.
In this comprehensive guide, we’re set to explore the ease and adaptability of ResinCrete, a groundbreaking, eco-friendly crafting material.
Perfect for experienced artisans and beginners, ResinCrete stands out as a non-toxic, scent-free, and approachable option compared to conventional resin.
Note: We have partnered with JDiction to experiment with combining fiber arts and resin craft. We are affiliates of this product. If you click our link and purchase any JDiction product, we receive a small commission at no extra cost. Thank you for supporting Textile Indie!
Stay tuned for more ideas on combining your love of fiber and needle art with resin casting.
Check out all the JDiction products!
Here is the ResinCrete product we feature in the video.
What is ResinCrete?
Resincrete serves as a versatile substitute for traditional materials such as concrete or plaster of Paris in various molding and crafting endeavors. ResinCrete produces an opaque finished product that is hard and ceramic-like to handle.
ResinCrete is a water-based compound that’s redefining the art of resin molding.
It’s an eco-friendly alternative to traditional resin, free from harmful chemicals, making it a perfect choice for crafters of all ages and experience levels.
With zero VOCs (Volatile Organic Compounds) and BPA-free, ResinCrete ensures a safe, odor-free crafting experience.
It’s non-flammable, food-safe, and heat-resistant up to 390F.
ResinCrete’s fast-curing time is a game-changer.
To order ResinCrete click this link and get 10% off your first order.
How is it different from traditional epoxy resin?
- Composition: ResinCrete is a water-based compound, free from harmful chemicals, while traditional epoxy resin is chemical-based.
- Safety and Eco-Friendliness: ResinCrete has zero VOCs and is BPA-free, odor-free, and non-flammable, making it safer and more eco-friendly than traditional epoxy resin.
- Ease of Use: ResinCrete is user-friendly and accessible, ideal for beginners, and safe for use around children, unlike traditional resin, which requires careful handling and protective gear.
- Curing Time: ResinCrete cures in just 30 minutes, offering a quick turnaround for projects, whereas traditional epoxy resin typically requires at least 24 hours to cure.
- Durability: Despite its quick curing time, ResinCrete maintains a durable, porcelain-smooth finish – comparable to traditional resin.
- Versatility in Crafting: ResinCrete allows for easy coloring and consistently bubble-free results, offering greater creative flexibility than traditional epoxy resin, which can be more challenging to color and prone to bubbles.
My brother-in-law is a fine art wood-turner. He uses epoxy resin often, so I asked him questions before starting our ResinCrete project.
He immediately bombarded me with information about respirators, bubble shaker apparatus, etc.
It was overwhelming, and I quickly realized how different JDiction ResinCrete is from other resin products. It’s far more accessible for home crafters and family-oriented projects.
Benefits of ResinCrete
- Eco-Friendly Composition: Made with a water-based formula, free from harmful chemicals.
- Safety First: Zero VOCs (Volatile Organic Compounds) and BPA-free, ensuring a safer crafting environment.
- Odor-Free: Lacks the strong chemical smell typical of traditional resins, making it more pleasant to work with. We could not detect any odor using the ResinCrete.
- Non-Flammable: Adds an extra layer of safety, especially in home crafting environments.
- Fast Curing Time: Ready to demold in just 30 minutes, allowing for quicker project completion. This is an advantage when crafting with young people. You will also shorten the learning curve by seeing your results quickly.
- Durability: Cures to a strong, porcelain-smooth finish, ensuring long-lasting creations. The projects we made have a satisfying feel. The finish reminds me of Plaster of Paris, but it’s much easier to work with and far more durable.
- Bubble-free – A major benefit of ResinCrete is that it does not leave annoying bubbles.
- User-Friendly: Ideal for beginners and experts alike, with no need for extensive prep work or protective gear.
- Allergy-Friendly: Suitable for individuals with resin allergies and safe for children to use.
- Versatility: Perfect for a wide range of projects, from jewelry to coasters, with heat resistance up to 392°F.
- Creative Flexibility: Allows for easy addition of pigments and ensures bubble-free results, enhancing the creative process. We will share more about bubbles from our experience later in this post.
- Waterproofing Capability: Can be sealed to make creations waterproof, expanding its use.
One thing that could be improved is the directions. Minimal directions come with the kit, and what we found on the JDiction site is confusing and sometimes contradictory.
That’s why we decided to create this post – we’ve tried to answer all our own questions after trial and error experience. Hope it helps you!
Unboxing the ResinCrete Kit
List of items included in the kit
The JDiction ResinCrete Kit includes the following items:
- 1000g ResinCrete Base: A substantial amount of the primary ResinCrete material for multiple projects. We barely made a dent in our bag during our initial experiments.
- 3 Molds: A variety of molds to create different shapes and designs (star, heart, round).
- 5 Pigments: A selection of colors to add creativity and personalization to your projects.
- 2 Mixing Cups: For accurately mixing ResinCrete with water.
- 1 Stirring Stick: Essential for ensuring a smooth and even mix of the ResinCrete.
- 4 Pieces of Sandpaper: To smooth and finish your creations.
- 1 Scoop: For precise measurement and handling of the ResinCrete powder.
This kit is designed to be easy to use and suitable for both beginners and experienced crafters, providing all the necessary tools to start creating with ResinCrete. We unpacked the box and started pouring within 10 minutes.
What else you will need
For crafting with the JDiction ResinCrete Kit, crafters will need to provide a few additional items:
- Scale: A digital scale for accurate measurement of ResinCrete powder and water. You can measure by volume, but you’ll get a better result weighing the powder and water.
- Water: Clean water for mixing with the ResinCrete powder.
- Protective Work Surface: A cover to protect the work area from spills or drips.
- Mixing Bowls or Additional Cups: If larger quantities or multiple colors are being mixed at once. Small disposable cups work great.
- Mask: We work with so many dusty materials and powders, so we wear N95 masks when handling these products. ResinCrete is non-toxic, but the powder gets in the air as you measure it. A mask is a good idea.
Many crafters feel comfortable using ResinCrete without a mask or gloves – so whatever suits your comfort level. We did stop using gloves as the day progressed.
Optional supplies to consider:
- Creative add-ins: Glitter, beads, or other decorative elements to embed in the ResinCrete.
- Sealant or varnish: If a waterproof or glossy finish is desired for the final product.
- Paints or paint pens: For additional decoration or detailing on the finished pieces.
- Cleaning supplies: Paper towels or cloths for any spills or cleanup.
- Storage Containers: To store leftover materials or protect work-in-progress pieces. You’ll want to keep excessesinCrete powder in a room-temperature space and protect it from excessive humidity.
- Gloves: The kit comes with 2 sets of gloves, but they’re the loose plastic cafeteria style and hinder dexterity. We prefer our tight-fitting surgical gloves.
Step-by-step guide to using ResinCrete
Preparing your workspace
- Choose the right location: Opt for a well-lit, ventilated area with a flat, stable surface away from direct sunlight. The flat surface is important. You don’t want to move the mold once the ResinCrete is poured.
- Protect your surface: Use a plastic sheet, old newspapers, or a disposable tablecloth to cover the work area and facilitate easy cleanup.
- Organize tools and materials: Arrange the ResinCrete kit components and any additional decorative items within easy reach. Once you mix the product, you have limited time to get the pour done. It’s not a rush – unless you have to run around the house looking for stuff!
- Wear protective gear: Gloves are recommended to keep hands clean and protect skin. As mentioned above, we like wearing a mask when measuring the powder. Once the water is added, we take off the mask. We found this to be a neat and tidy craft, but it’s probably a good idea to wear clothing that’s not too precious.
- Prepare for mixing: Have a digital scale ready for accurate measurement and clean water. If you don’t have a kitchen (gram scale), you can measure the product using the scoop as your ratio control. The consistency of the mixture will vary a bit – but don’t let a scale stop you from testing out the kit.
- Safety considerations: Keep a waste bin and cleaning supplies like paper towels close by, especially if working around children or pets.
- Mind the temperature: Ensure the workspace is at a comfortable room temperature for optimal ResinCrete curing. Not too cold or hot.
Measuring and mixing the powder and water
Getting the mix right is crucial for successful ResinCrete crafting. Here’s a straightforward guide to measuring and mixing the powder and water.
- Accurate measurement: Use a digital scale to measure the ResinCrete powder and water. The correct ratio is essential for the mixture to set properly. Typically, the ratio is 10:3 by weight (ResinCrete powder to water). For example, we mixed 100 grams of powder with 30 grams of water.
- Start with the powder: First, measure the required amount of ResinCrete powder and pour it into a mixing cup.
- Add water: Next, measure the room temperature water. Slowly add it to the powder, ensuring not to pour all at once to avoid lumps.
- Mix thoroughly: Use the stirring stick to mix the powder and water. Stir for about 60 seconds or until the mixture is smooth and free of lumps. The consistency should be similar to a pancake batter. Be sure to scrap the nooks and crannies of the mixing cup.
- Add pigments (optional): Now is the time to add the pigments. Mix the pigment thoroughly into the blend to ensure an even color distribution. Or you can undermix the pigment to create a marbled effect. A good rule of thumb is 2% of pigment to ResinCrete.
- Check consistency: The final mixture should be smooth and pourable. If it’s too thick, add more water; if too thin, add more powder. However, if you follow the recommended ratio, the viscosity should be perfect.
- Work quickly: Remember, ResinCrete starts setting quickly. Once mixed, you have about 8-10 minutes of working time, so prepare your molds and supplies beforehand.
- Avoid air bubbles: While pouring the mixture into molds, do it slowly and steadily to minimize the formation of air bubbles. Gently tap (very gently) the mold if appropriate. We didn’t have any problem with bubbles. If pouring over a 3D object, it’s best to pour a layer of resin, carefully add the object, and then finish pouring to cover. If you pour right over the object, there’s a risk of getting an air bubble on the backside.
- Clean up immediately: After pouring, clean your mixing tools with water. This makes it easier to reuse them for future projects. If the product dries, you can soak it in warm, soapy water to loosen it. Our experience is that the dried product flakes off most surfaces.
Alternate ways to mix the product:
You can measure the powder into one cup and the water into a separate cup, and then combine. In our video, Brittany tops off the cup of powder with water by watching the scale. This takes a steady hand – you might be more comfortable weighing the ingredients separately.
Infusing color into your ResinCrete projects offers more creative options. The ResinCrete pigments are very concentrated – go slow and add more if needed. Here’s how to effectively add pigments to your ResinCrete mixture:
- Choose your pigments: Select the pigments you want to use. ResinCrete is compatible with a variety of pigment types, allowing for a wide range of creative possibilities. The kit comes with 5 basic colors.
- Add pigment to the mixture: After you have mixed the ResinCrete powder and water to a smooth consistency, it’s time to add the pigment. Sprinkle or pour the pigment into the mixture. The kit comes with 5 basic colors in squeeze bottles. We simply squeezed in 2 drops and added more as needed.
- Mix thoroughly: Use your stirring stick to blend the pigment evenly throughout the mixture. Ensure there are no streaks or clumps of pigment for a uniform color. You will need to mix longer than you think to be sure there are no white streaks.
- Test the color: If you’re unsure about the color intensity, you can test it by pouring a small amount into a mini mold or on a disposable surface. Adjust the pigment as needed.
- Creative combinations: Feel free to experiment with mixing different pigments to create custom colors. This is where you can truly personalize your ResinCrete creations.
- Work efficiently: Remember that ResinCrete begins to set quickly (8-10 minutes), so add your pigments and complete your mixing promptly to ensure the best results.
Another idea – add the pigment to the water before adding the water to the powder. The official directions say to add the pigment after the resin compound is mixed. But it does make sense to mix the dye into water first.
Pouring into molds
Once your ResinCrete mixture is ready and colored to your liking, the next step is to pour it into molds. This stage is where your creations begin to take shape.
- Prepare your molds: Before mixing your ResinCrete, ensure your molds are clean, dry, and placed on a flat surface. Have an extra mold ready to pour any extra mixture into.
- Pouring technique: Start pouring the ResinCrete mixture into the mold slowly and steadily. If you’re working with intricate molds or designs, pour carefully to avoid air pockets, especially in corners or detailed areas.
- Fill to the brim: Make sure to fill the molds up to the top to ensure a level surface on your finished piece. If you’re making layered pieces, pour the first layer and let it set slightly before adding the next. The material has great surface tension, so you can pour right up to the tippy top, and if left undisturbed, it won’t flow over. This takes a little practice.
- Removing air bubbles: After pouring, gently tap the sides of the mold to bring any air bubbles to the surface. This helps in achieving a smooth, bubble-free finish. Do not do the tap if you’ve filled the mold to the brink. You can gently blow on the surface to pop any tiny bubbles. Or poke them with the tip of the tweezer.
- Let it set: Once poured, leave the mold undisturbed for the required setting time, typically around 30 minutes for ResinCrete. Avoid moving the mold until the mixture has fully set to maintain the shape and integrity of your design.
Demolding and finishing touches
- Wait for complete curing: Ensure the ResinCrete has fully set before attempting to demold. This usually takes about 30 minutes, but thicker pieces may require more time.
- Gentle demolding: Start by gently pulling the edges of the mold away from the ResinCrete. Carefully flex or twist the mold if it’s flexible, to loosen the piece. Then, slowly push the item out from the bottom.
- Inspect the piece: Once demolded, inspect your creation for any sharp edges or imperfections.
- Sanding for smoothness: If you find rough edges, use the sandpaper provided in your kit to smooth them out. Start with a coarser grit and finish with a finer grit for a smooth touch.
Tips and tricks for working with ResinCrete
- Know the time frame: ResinCrete begins to set quickly. Typically, you have about 8-10 minutes of working time once it’s mixed. Plan your steps accordingly. It helps to set a timer.
- Preparation is crucial: Have all your materials, tools, and molds ready before you start mixing. This ensures you can work efficiently within the limited time frame.
- Mix in batches: If you’re working on a larger project or multiple pieces, consider mixing ResinCrete in smaller batches to avoid premature setting.
- Monitor temperature: Room temperature can affect the setting time. Cooler temperatures may extend your working time slightly, while warmer temperatures can shorten it.
- Speed and efficiency: Develop a rhythm in your work – mix quickly but thoroughly, add pigments promptly, and pour into molds as soon as the mixture is ready.
- Avoid distractions: Minimize interruptions during your crafting session. This helps in utilizing the working time effectively without the mixture setting prematurely.
- Practice makes perfect: The more you work with ResinCrete, the better you’ll become at managing the working time. Don’t be discouraged by initial challenges; each project is a learning opportunity.
- Understand the typical setting time: ResinCrete generally sets within 20-30 minutes. This can vary based on the pour’s thickness and your workspace’s ambient temperature.
- Thickness matters: Thicker pours may require a longer setting time. Allow ample time for the ResinCrete to solidify completely before demolding.
- Check for complete curing: Before demolding, gently touch the surface of the ResinCrete in the mold. It should feel firm and not tacky. Give it more time to set if it’s still soft or sticky. I would avoid the touch test if possible because you’ll leave a fingerprint if it hasn’t hardened.
- Temperature effects: Higher temperatures can accelerate the setting time, while cooler temperatures can slow it down. Work in a stable, room-temperature environment for consistent results.
- Avoid moving the molds: Once you’ve poured the ResinCrete, keep the molds still and undisturbed during the setting time to prevent any deformities or imperfections.
- Patience is key: Resist the urge to demold early. Giving the ResinCrete enough time to set properly ensures that your creation maintains its shape and surface details.
- Post-setting handling: Even after demolding, handle your creations with care. They continue to harden and reach their full strength over the next few hours.
Sealing and waterproofing your creations
Sealing and waterproofing are important steps in finishing your ResinCrete projects, especially for items that may come into contact with moisture. Here are some tips for effectively sealing and waterproofing your creations:
- Choose the right sealant: Select a sealant that is compatible with ResinCrete. Clear acrylic sealers or epoxy resin coatings are good options for a durable and waterproof finish.
- Clean before sealing: Ensure your ResinCrete creation is completely clean and dry before applying any sealant. Dust or moisture on the surface can affect the sealant’s adhesion and finish.
- Apply thin layers: Apply the sealant in thin, even layers. Thick layers may take longer to dry, resulting in an uneven finish. Multiple thin layers often yield the best results.
- Use the right tools: Apply the sealant with a soft brush or a sponge applicator for an even coat. Avoid using materials that may leave streaks or lint. Better yet, use a spray sealer.
- Drying time: Allow each layer of sealant to dry completely before applying the next. Refer to the sealant’s instructions for specific drying times.
- Waterproofing test: After the final layer of sealant has dried, you can test the waterproofing by placing a small amount of water on the surface. The water should bead up and not soak into the ResinCrete.
- Regular maintenance: If your sealed ResinCrete item is used frequently, especially in high-moisture environments, it may need resealing over time to maintain its waterproof properties.
- Ventilation: Work in a well-ventilated area when applying sealants, especially if they contain strong fumes.
- Safety precautions: Wear gloves and protective eyewear when working with sealants to protect your skin and eyes.
One of the joys of working with ResinCrete is the vast array of customization options it offers. Here are some creative ways to personalize your ResinCrete projects:
- Color play with pigments: Experiment with different pigments to create unique colors. Mix and match to achieve the perfect shade or create gradient effects for a more dynamic look. A fun look is the black pigment to create gray variations that look like concrete.
- Embedding objects: Embed small objects like glitter, beads, dried flowers, or even small photos into the ResinCrete before it sets. This adds a personal touch and can create stunning visual effects. These will need to be sealed into the surface with a layer of clear resin after the piece has cured.
- Surface painting: Once your ResinCrete creation is set and cured, you can paint the surface with acrylics or enamel paints. This is great for adding detailed designs or patterns.
- Mica powders: Mix into the ResinCrete after you have added the water.
- Texturing techniques: Apply textures to the surface of your creation using tools or stamps before the ResinCrete sets. You can create anything from a rough, stone-like texture to intricate embossed patterns.
- Layering different colors: Pour layers of differently colored ResinCrete into a mold, allowing each layer to set slightly before adding the next. This creates a layered, stratified effect.
- Adding finishing touches: Attach findings to turn your creations into jewelry, or add felt pads to the bottom of coasters and trinkets to prevent scratching surfaces.
- Sealing with style: Use tinted sealers or those with special effects like gloss or matte finishes to add an extra dimension to your finished piece.
- Mix media: Combine ResinCrete with other crafting materials like wood, metal, or glass for mixed-media projects. This can add an interesting contrast in textures and materials.
Project ideas and inspiration
Here’s a list of project ideas to get your creative ideas flowing – you will need to source silicone molds for many of these ideas. Craft stores, Amazon, and Temu have many options.
- Decorative Coasters: Create unique coasters with embedded designs or colors.
- Custom Jewelry: Craft pendants, earrings, or bracelets with personalized touches.
- Flower Pots: Small pots for succulents or herbs, customized with colors or patterns.
- Picture Frames: Design frames with intricate textures or embedded items.
- Candle Holders: Make stylish candle holders with a modern, minimalist look.
- Keychains: Personalized keychains with names, initials, or unique designs.
- Wall Art: Create 3D wall art pieces or textured panels for home decor.
- Trinket Dishes: Small dishes for holding rings, earrings, or other trinkets.
- Paperweights: Functional yet artistic paperweights with embedded objects.
- Bookends: Craft a pair of sturdy and stylish bookends for your bookshelf.
- Fridge Magnets: Small, colorful magnets in various shapes and designs.
- Desk Organizers: Make pen holders or small storage containers for your desk.
- Vases: Design vases with a modern twist, suitable for small bouquets.
- Sculptures: Create abstract sculptures as statement pieces for your home
- Garden Ornaments: Weather-resistant ornaments for garden or patio decoration.
- Lamp Bases: Craft unique bases for small table lamps.
- Soap Dishes: Create custom soap dishes with a waterproof sealant.
- Clock Faces: Design a custom clock face, adding a mechanism for a functional piece.
- Game Pieces: Make custom board game pieces, dominoes, or chess sets.
- Custom Knobs and Pulls: Design unique knobs or pulls for cabinets and drawers.
- Mobile Phone Stands: Craft stands for mobile phones with personalized designs.
- Business Card Holders: Create stylish holders for business cards or place cards.
- Bathroom Set Accessories: Make a matching set of toothbrush holders and soap dispensers.
- Wind Chimes: Design wind chimes with ResinCrete elements for a unique sound.
- Pet ID Tags: Create durable and personalized ID tags for pets.
- Luggage Tags: Fashion custom luggage tags for easy identification.
- Garden Markers: Make weather-resistant markers for plant identification in gardens.
- Decorative Tiles: Create tiles for a kitchen backsplash or as coasters.
- Nameplates: Personalized nameplates for desks or room doors.
- Ornaments: Craft holiday or decorative ornaments for various occasions.
- Puzzle Pieces: Make large puzzle pieces for a decorative wall art installation.
- Tabletop Fountains: Design small, decorative fountains for indoor relaxation.
- Art Palette: Fashion a custom palette for painting.
- Wine Glass Charms: Make stylish charm markers for wine glass stems.
- Custom Buttons: Create buttons for clothing or crafts.
Who is ResinCrete For?
- DIY enthusiasts: Those who love crafting and DIY projects will find ResinCrete an exciting medium to work with, offering a new avenue for creativity and personalization.
- Artists and sculptors: Artists looking for a versatile, durable medium for sculptures, jewelry, or mixed-media art will appreciate the properties of ResinCrete.
- Eco-conscious crafters: Individuals who prioritize eco-friendly materials will value ResinCrete’s non-toxic, low-VOC composition.
- Home decorators: Anyone interested in creating custom home decor items, such as vases, coasters, or decorative pieces, will find ResinCrete ideal for these projects.
- Educators and students: Teachers in art classes can use ResinCrete for educational projects due to its safety and ease of use, making it suitable for students.
- Hobbyists: Hobbyists who enjoy creating models, miniatures, or custom game pieces can use ResinCrete for detailed and durable creations.
- Families: Safe for children and adults alike, ResinCrete is great for family crafting sessions, allowing for fun and creative bonding time.
- Event Planners: For creating custom decorations or favors for events like weddings, parties, or corporate events.
- Gardeners: Those with a green thumb can craft planters, garden markers, or decorative outdoor pieces that are durable and weather-resistant.
- People with Resin Allergies: Individuals who are allergic to traditional resins can safely use ResinCrete as an alternative for their crafting needs.
Giving ResinCreate products and kits as a gift
Presenting ResinCrete products and kits as gifts is a wonderful way to share the joy of crafting with friends, family, and loved ones. Whether for a seasoned DIY enthusiast or someone just beginning their crafting journey, ResinCrete offers a unique and thoughtful gift option.
- Encourages creativity: Gifting a ResinCrete kit is like offering a canvas for creativity. It’s perfect for those who love to explore new hobbies or express themselves through crafting.
- Eco-friendly and safe: With its eco-friendly and non-toxic properties, ResinCrete is a considerate gift for environmentally conscious individuals and is safe for all ages, making it a family-friendly choice.
- Versatile use: ResinCrete’s versatility in crafting a wide range of items, from home decor to jewelry, means that it’s suitable for virtually anyone, regardless of their crafting interests.
- Ideal for all skill levels: Whether the recipient is a beginner or an experienced crafter, ResinCrete’s ease of use makes it suitable for all skill levels.
- Personalized crafting experience: By gifting a ResinCrete kit, you’re not just giving a physical item, but an experience. Recipients can create something that is uniquely theirs, adding a personal touch to their home or wardrobe.
- Educational aspect: For younger recipients, working with ResinCrete can be educational, teaching them about mixing, measuring, and the creative process, all while having fun.
- Quality time through crafting: A ResinCrete kit can be an invitation to spend quality time together, crafting and creating memories, making it a meaningful gift for families or friends.
ResinCrete stands out as a versatile, eco-friendly, and user-friendly crafting medium that opens up a world of creativity and personal expression.
Its safety features, quick curing time, and customization options make it ideal for a wide range of projects, from home decor to personal accessories.
Dive into the world of ResinCrete and let your imagination craft wonders!
Where to buy ResinCrete
Ready to unleash your creativity with ResinCrete?
Visit the JDiction site to see the world of endless possibilities with ResinCrete.
Whether for yourself or as a unique gift, ResinCrete is perfect for anyone who loves to create.
Shop now and bring your creative ideas to life! 🌟🎨🌿