- 8 x 32″ stakes of 1/2″ flat reed : Stakes
- 7 x 30″ stakes of 1/2″ flat reed : Stakes
- 1 x 8″ wide D handle : Handle
- 1 x 11′ length of #1 round reed : Twining
- 2 x 46″ length of 1/2″ flat reed : 1st Weaver
- 18 x 46″ lengths of 1/4″ flat-oval reed : Weavers
- 3 x 46″ lengths of #2 seagrass : Weavers
- 2 x 44″ lengths 5/8″ flat-oval reed : Rim
- 1 x 46″ lenght of #3 seagrass : Rim insert
- 1 x 10′ length of 1/4″ flat-oval reed : Lashing
The above list may look like a bunch of numbers, words and symbols that make no sense and are frustrating to try to navigate. I know, I’ve been there too. Here’s the same list broken down into the specific different types of materials you will need.
Different types of materials needed
- 1/2″ (half inch)
- 1/4″ (quarter inch)
- 5/8″ (five eighths inch)
- #1 round reed (,…..mm)
- #2 seagrass (….mm)
- #3 seagrass (….mm)
How much will I need?
For one market basket
To start out with just the materials you need for one basket you can order reed by the foot or purchase the market basket kit.
To order reed and the other materials by the foot follow the links below to Basket Makers Catalog. Make an account with them and you will be able to build your cart, come back to it, and track orders.
Basket Makers Catalog
These reed estimations are liberal estimations if you follow the instructions presented in the Market Basket Course.
Flat reed: 1/2″ – 46 ft.
Round reed: #1 – 13 ft
Seagrass: #3 – 17 ft
Handle: 1 x 8″ wide D handle
Market basket kit
An alternative is to buy the market basket kit on my Etsy shop Textile Indie Supplies. The kit comes with all of the materials you will need to complete one market basket.
- 8″ wide by 10″ tall wooden handle
- 1/4″ flat oval reed for weavers and for lashing the rim
- 1/2″ flat reed for stakes and first row
- Seagrass for weavers and rim insert
- 1/2″ flat oval reed for inner and outer rim
- #1 round reed for twining around base
If you want to start your basket materials stash
If you want to buy in bulk (which is cheaper) and start building your materials stash than I suggest using Basket Makers Catalog and order bundles of reed.
Materials in bulk
Basket Makers Catalog sells reed, seagrass and other basket making materials in one pound bundles. This is a great way to begin your basket weaving while saving a little money.
Basket making tools
The tools you will need
- Cloth measuring tape
- Reed cutters
- Stake weight
- Straight tipped packer
- Box cutter
- Metal clamps
- Plastic clamps
- Spray bottle
- Water tub
Basket making tool kit
Check out my Etsy shop Textile Indie Supplies for a tool kit that includes reed cutters, stake weight, 4 metal clamps and 4 plastic clamps.
Step-by-Step Guide to Weaving a Handled Basket – Article outlining the process of creating the market basket taught in the basket course.
Beginners Guide to Basket Weaving Materials – Learn the different types of materials used in rattan basket weaving.
Beginners Guide to Basket Handles – All the types of handles used in rattan basket weaving.
Basket Stains and Sealers: Finishing Your Baskets – After you have completed your basket you will need to stain or seal it to protect it from the elements. Use this guide to get you started with what to use and how to finish.